Saturday, February 04, 2006

Tomorrow is the big day. Mom is moving to Fort Howe Apartments, just for a couple of months. At least that is what we think now anyway. They are working on her elevator in her building and she would be trapped on the 4th floor for 2 months if she stayed. Problem is that they put her into a bachelor apartment, with the living room/eating area/bedroom just one room. I have to stay overnight with her for at least a week when she has her eye surgery in March and there is literally no where for me to sleep on the floor. It is a galley kitchen and the bathroom is so small she can’t even get her wheelchair in it. She will basically just come in the door and park her wheelchair and have to try to walk about the place by holding on to the furniture. It consists of a night table, bed, 1 dresser, small kitchen table & 2 chairs, sofa chair & tv. That is it. And I think we are going to have to take out the kitchen chairs to get her wheelchair in. Way fun.

It really isn't fair to her because meanwhile she is paying her rent for a one bedroom apartment and instead living in one room. No joke, I may have to sleep in the tub when I stay over. Oh well. I guess it could be worse. I may have to 'borrow' some of her painkillers just to walk if I end up in the tub, my back will be so bad. Speaking of tubs, I wonder how she will get in and out of that thing. It is level with the floor and their are no grip bars to get up with. So help me, if she falls, I will come down on that Killam Properties like a ton of bricks. They don't want to see me when I get upset.

2 comments:

Lesley said...

So are moving all of your Mom's stuff to this new apartment or leaving it behind for when they're done the renos? That's a lot of moving in such a short time.
Did you take holidays for the whole week after her surgery? Maybe you need to invest in one of those little army cots, Mom used to bring one for my cousin Brian to sleep on when they came visiting on the weekends...but is there room for that even?
Hope all goes well!

Anonymous said...

We were thinking of buying a blow up matress for me to sleep on, easy to transport and doesn't take up much room when deflated. Plus, not very expensive.

We just have to move her personal stuff, not the furniture. The new place is furnished and has most of the dishes she will need.